Section 608 EPA Certification Program
For stationary HVACR
Section 608 of the Federal Clean Air Act requires that all persons who maintain, service,repair or dispose of appliances that contain regulated refrigerants be certified in proper
refrigerant handling techniques.
Updates to the Section 608 Refrigerant Management Program.
EPA Section 608 Certification Cards
The EPA regulations that go into effect January 1, 2018 require that certifying organizations implement new wording on their Section 608 Certification Cards.
The new wording will apply to both new certifications and replacement cards issued starting January 1, 2018.
The wording on new certification cards includes: "[Name of person] has successfully passed a [Type I, Type II, Type III, and/or Universal, as appropriate]
exam on how to responsibly handle refrigerants as required by EPA's National Recycling and Emission Reduction Program."
Original ESCO Card
ESCO 608 Certification Card issued until December 31, 2017
New ESCO 608 Certification Card as of January 1, 2018
Cards issued prior to January 1, 2018 remain valid.
To verify a certification, you may use the online lookup or contact a member of our customer service team at 800-726-9696, Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM-5:00 PM Central.
The EPA has approved nearly 100 certification programs and provided them all an identical bank of test questions, however, more
registered proctors have selected the ESCO Institute program over any other.
Why? ESCO Institute offers the simplest way to provide the EPA Section 608 exam!
- No setup cost for HVACR educational programs and HVACR wholesalers.
- Simple preparatory manual.
- Free practice exams to help prepare for the exam.
- Options in how test is offered (Online or Paper) (English or Spanish).
- Simple enough to conduct as a self-study, yet comprehensive enough to be incorporated into any training program.
The ESCO Institute Preparatory Manual is the simplest way to prepare for the exam.
It is clear, concise and contains everything in the Universal exam in only 12 pages.
The manual is available in both
Free Practice Exams
To further help prepare for the exam, test takers can take practice exams free of charge. There is no software to download or install. Simply click and take practice exams
24 X 7 from any smart phone, tablet, laptop or PC.
Take a Free Practice Exam
ESCO Institute offers a PowerPoint that includes speaker’s notes designed to keep the program on track. This presentation is available for registered proctors (test administrators)
to use free of charge, and can be accessed in the ESCO Institute resource center.
To accommodate the varying needs of testing facilities, the ESCO Institute offers options in how the closed book certification exam is administered.
ESCO On-Line is the quickest and simplest way to offer the Section 608 Universal closed book exam.
Registered proctors (test administrators) login to:
- Download the preparatory manual.
- Download the instructor PowerPoint.
- Download pressure temperature charts.
- Purchase exam credits with a P.O. or credit card.
- Conduct exams online and provide instant results.
- Upon passing, cards are mail the next business day.
- Access detailed reports.
- It’s that simple, Point - Click - Test!
Online testing automates the entire process. There are, no items to pre-purchase or stock, test takers receive instant results, and proctors can be assured they are always
giving the latest version of the exam.
ESCO On-Line offers two options in conducting the closed book exam online; one to quickly test an individual, another to log in up to 35 people at once.
ESCO Institute provides HVACR educational programs and HVACR wholesalers a kit containing: reusable exam books, answer sheets and postage paid envelopes, Free of Charge.
- Exams are stored securely in proctor’s office until needed.
- Exams are paid for when submitted for grading by including a purchase order, check or credit card.
- To simplify submitting exams, ESCO provides postage paid envelopes.
- Paper tests are graded within one business day of receipt.
Becoming a proctor is easy and free for HVACR educational programs and HVACR wholesalers.
Click here to complete and submit your proctor application
The ESCO Institute staff would be glad to answer you questions on offering the program, finding a testing location in your rea, or to
help you determine if you are eligible to be a proctor. Contact us toll free at 800 726-9696, Monday through Friday (8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Central).